03 February 2012

Need a New Mental Model for Regulatory Documents

Wow……I have been away from this blog a whole lot longer than intended. Those competing interests….like you all understand….are the bane of my existence.

For the past couple months I have been looking closely at how people think about the “vehicles” used to communicate with regulatory health agencies. I am using the word vehicle here because I am trying to divorce myself from the notion of document, in particular, the notion of “a document.” In the modern times of on-screen reading and linked files, what is a document anyhow? To me it is the entire corpus somebody may be able to access, not just one slice of that body.

In my consulting/training interactions at McCulley/Cuppan, I find that the majority of people I interface with in the client setting operate within the mind set of individual documents (some have even smaller boundaries and operate by document sections) that are stand alone with well defined boundaries (pages and page counts.)

I want to argue that the vehicle of communication for regulatory submissions is not a document. It is the full and complete dossier submitted by the sponsor. Documents are just placeholders where I go to get a piece or pieces of information that help answer my questions. I want to argue that the regulatory reader does not see a dossier as a set of documents. Rather they see a dossier as a corpus of information that they will use to answer question and make decisions. The contents are just vehicles they peruse to get what they want.

Applying my working model means you stop seeing documents as “stand alone” and stop saying “this document has to tell a story.” I’d also like you to stop using the word document. That word has baggage I am trying to jettison. Instead I want people to view their work at least as “modules” and preferably as vehicles that help a user to answer very specific questions. Bottom line, a research report is just a part of the constellation that tells the stories. Note the plural form as we have many stories to tell in a dossier, not just one.

Applying my working model means you stop seeing your work as being like a novella—something to be read from page 1 to page n. Applying my working model means you see your body of work as something that is read in a coordinate manner that is defined by very narrowly defined aspect rules of inclusion/exclusion. Applying my model means you stop seeing pages and sections and you start seeing concepts and topics.

My argument is that the selective professional reader at regulatory health agencies cares little about documents, sections, pages, and data tables. I am suggesting such readers care solely about making informed decisions and where in the submission dossier they find vehicles that can get answers to their concept and topic questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment