06 October 2010

The importance of understanding the reader and the need to be informed by reading theory

In thinking about the ExLPharma conference where I spoke two weeks ago on review, I talked for some time about the importance of reviewers understanding their readers and the need to be informed by reading theory so as to become a truly good reviewer. My comments were largely well received by the group attending the conference and, for most of the points I raised regarding reading theory, were truly novel for them. I came away from the conference with the notion that few people actively engaged in creating business documents have invested time in thinking about what regulatory readers actually “do” with their documents and how they actually read these mission-critical documents.

Given that most people inspect a document for accuracy tells me that the prevalent view regarding reading is “if we get the numbers and the words right, then we are good to go and surely everyone will understand what we mean.”

I remain perplexed as to why this view is so uniformly applied. I am even more perplexed why some people I cross paths with in my client settings struggle to accept the notion that readers construct a meaning that they personally create from a text, so that "what a text means" can differ from reader to reader. Readers construct meaning based not only on the visual cues in the text (the words and format of the page itself) but also based on the knowledge readers already have stored in their memory. This pre-existing knowledge readers bring with them as they encounter a text is very potent and not much appreciated by many I work with across the life sciences.


Originally published on our Knowledge Management blog

No comments:

Post a Comment